Sunday, September 28, 2014

the very hungry caterpillar button string

We spent a week exploring the concepts found in Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar. One of our most popular activities was this gorgeous handmade button string that included all of the components from the story. This was an item that I discovered already in our classroom from the previous year. I cannot remember if my co-teacher had made it or a parent volunteer. Either way I am so grateful and happy that we have something as lovely as this for our children to explore.
The focus the children invested in this activity was astounding! Button snakes are excellent fine motor activities for young ones.  This one in particular is extra special as you can practice order and sequencing with your children. Questions can be asked about the order and the children can use the book as a reference tool as well. All sorts of lovely vocabulary words can be introduced. I now have a list of other button snakes I want to make for our class!

No comments:

Post a Comment